For RIOTOUS to function correctly there are a few requirements for the controller used and the ESP8266 module
- Controller MIPS of at least 16MHz (more speed = high baud rate for communication)
- Controller free RAM of 256 bytes (it is possible to go lower but check your compiler first)
- Onboard UART module on controller
- Interrupt on UART receive
- ESP8266 Module with SDK 1.5.4 and AT 184.108.40.206
The RIOTOUS Framework requires a specific version of the ESP8266 firmware (SDK 1.5.4 and AT 220.127.116.11) so do remember to either program the ESP8266 module following this guide or purchase a pre-configured module from here. Programming ESP8266 modules is easier than it may seem (especially with the programming package that can be obtained from the download page).